Cheung Chau 100 years ago

A,B,C,D...▲ Cheung Chau Attractions Historical year▲

Pirates attack on Cheung Chau Police Station. August 21st, 1912

1912 Aug 21

Hong Kong Colonial Government New Territories South Assistant District Officer, S H Peplow, recorded at mid night of August 21st 1912 , a group of 50 pirates in small boats landed in Cheung Chau near Police Station.

They went in to kill 3 Indian Police on duty, ransacked the station and took away HK$3,000 cash from the safe, together with all guns and ammunition.

The pirates went on to rob all shops and residences in neighbourhood.

One or two pirates died and some are also injured.

The piracy shocked Hong Kong and caused Cheung Chau Police Station to move in 1913-1914 to high ground from the shore, at current location in Police Station Path.

長洲警署

 

Cheung Chau Police Station

Click here to view the route map

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS

Last edited by Cheung Chau Magazine on 2013 Oct 04

Published by under Cheung Chau Attractions

Please response to this post, your comment is important to us

Kwok Man School, Cheung Chau

1900 Jan 01

Kwok Man School of Cheung Chau was established around the turn of last century in 1900’s.

There were three different clan’s association schools in the beginning according to plaque set in front of school.

Cheung Chau Wai Chiu Clansman Association, Tung Kwan Clansman Association, and Po An Clansman Association, separately set up schools to take care of education of children from their respective clan on Cheung Chau Island.

For over decades, they were independent schools until wars came.

After wars over, leaders of these clans on Cheung Chau came out to support for a new school.

With the help of  Wong Wai Tsak Tong to donate 2 plots of land and finance from leading kaifongs on Cheung Chau Island, the original 3 separate schools now come under one roof, at No.30 Kwok Man Road and with a new name called Kwok Man School.

Curiously, a third plot of land – Cheung Chau Lot 92RP, which may be basketball court of the school, remains in the hand of  Wong Wai Tsak Tong according to Land Registry’s record.

長洲國民學校牌匾

Cheung Chau Kwok Man School Plaque

長洲國民學校

Cheung Chau Kwok Man School

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS

Last edited by Cheung Chau Magazine on 2013 Oct 21

Published by under Cheung Chau Attractions

Please response to this post, your comment is important to us

Cheung Po Tsai, Pirate, 1806-1810

1810 Jan 01

Cheung Po Tsai,  Pirate1806-1810

According to Pun Yu County record in late Ching Dynasty, Cheung Po , was the pirate in Southern China coast.

Cheung Po went out fishing with his father when he was around 15 years old, and was captured by Red Flag pirate leader of South China, Cheng Yat, who was descendant of Cheng Shing Kung, the famous sea explorer of Ming dynasty.

Cheng Yat later died in typhoon. His wife promoted Cheung Po as assistant to control the Red Flag pirates.

For his young age, other pirates started calling him Po Tsai. (literally in English, kid Po)

Cheung Po Tsai active leadership of Red Flag pirates only lasted between 1806 and 1810.

As a result of fear of revenge by another leader, Kwok Por Dai, of Black Flag pirates, and on the advice by wife of Cheng Yat, he surrendered to Ching Government.

He was given a position of military officer in Ching army, got officially married with wife of Cheng Yat. She later started casino business in Macau.

Cheung Po Tsai used Tung Chung of Lantau Island as repair and maintenance base,  and once broke through the blockage set up in Chek Lap Kwok by joint force of Ching and Portuguese navies.

Based on report of 2 East India Company sailors kidnapped by Cheung Po Tsai, he had over 500 boats and around 25,000 pirates under his command at his peak.

張保仔洞

Cheung Po Tsai Cave on Cheung Chau

Click here to view the route map

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS

Last edited by Cheung Chau Magazine on 2013 Oct 21

Published by under Cheung Chau Attractions

Please response to this post, your comment is important to us

Cheung Chau, Ferry and Pier

1910 Jan 01

Cheung Chau, Ferry and Pier

Walter Schofield, Assistant District Officer for New Territories South (1910′s), wrote the ferry serving Cheung Chau was single-decked, run by Cheung Chau Kai Fong Wui.

Single voyage costed HK$3 cents, for HK$5 cents, Kai Fong Wui would provide a bamboo chair for you at the front of the deck.

Ferry Ordinance was passed in 1917, requiring operator to replace those old launches ferrying between Yaumatei, Kowloon City and Cheung Chau, with 2nd hand Star Ferry boats, to avoid those old launches going turtle during journey, and therefore loss of lives.

In 1928, new operator issued new ferry time schedule causing inconvenience to islander. The crux of the issue was the time table primarily designed to suite the schedule of passenger from Hong Kong Island, not to the fisherman from Cheung Chau.

Cheung Chau pier was constructed with wood before 1920′s.

On 13th of August in 1920, Hong Kong Colonial Government Director of Public Work, A H Hollingsworth gazetted to invite interest party to tender for erection of concrete pier at Cheung Chau.

From then on, wooden pier disappeared from Cheung Chau.

Cheung Chau Old Ferry
Cheung Chau Old Ferry
Cheung Chau Old Pier
Cheung Chau Old Pier
For further information, please click : Cheung Chau Ferry Schedule
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS

Last edited by Cheung Chau Magazine on 2013 Oct 04

Published by under Cheung Chau Attractions

Please response to this post, your comment is important to us

Cheung Chau Theatre, 1931

1931 Jan 01

Cheung Chau Theatre, 1931

In assessment report of Antiques and Monuments Office, it is stated Cheung Chau Theatre was built in 1931, owned by Mr Yiu.

Silent movies were shown in the 1930′s, someone was sitting on the side to explain the movie content during the show.

Cheung Chau Theatre ceased operation in 1990′s , the premises has been abandoned until now.

In its 60 years of history, except for the period during Second World War, it provided memorable entertainment to Cheung Chau residents.

Its architecture was described as down to earth, and also forming an integral part of the neighbourhood and community.

長洲戲院

Cheung Chau Theatre

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS

Last edited by Cheung Chau Magazine on 2013 Oct 21

Published by under Cheung Chau Attractions

Please response to this post, your comment is important to us

Next Page

The number of posts displayed per page : 5

move to top