1872 Jan 01
|A,B,C,D...▼||Cheung Chau Attractions||Historical year▲|
Cheung Chau, 1872
According to assessment report in 2009 from Antiquities and Monuments Office of Hong Kong Government :
“Cheung Chauwas set up by Mr. Choi Leung , a merchant on the island.
His aim is to provide shelter to the homeless and sick and those perished in sea during typhoon. It was then expanded in 1915 by Cheung Chau Kai Fong.”
Based on the record from Land Registry of Hong Kong Lands Department, Cheung Chau Kai Fong, represented by Chu Fook, and Lo Chiu, and witnessed byManager, Wong Tsuen Ting ,on 5th of December in 1914, executed a deed of exchange of Cheung Chau Lot 340 with a parcel of land of 4,500 s.f.. from . It is Cheung Chau Lot 732 where Fong Bin Hospital now located.
This act caused then Assistantfor New Territories South, Eric Hamilton, to comment on news of death of Chu Fook in report in 1921, of his great amount of work for Cheung Chau community.
It also led to him remark in his report in 1922 on death of Wong Tsuen Ting, Manager of, of his and his predecessor’s appreciation for Wong’s continuous support and his capability in Cheung Chau community work.
Antiquities and Monuments Office also mentioned “Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital was mainly providing Chinese Medicine, and was under major renovation in 1931 and 1951 to cope with demand.
It was changed hand toin 1945, reputable Chinese medication practice was hired, visitors came as far as other outlying islands.”
But ever since 1934 when St John’s Ambulance opened Haw Par Hospital providing western medicine, Fong Bin Hospital was slowly fading away till complete abandon in 1988.
Right now the premises are in ruin, ownership is managed on temporary basis by Assistantfor New Territories South.
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital||Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital – Tai Sun Street|
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital Donation plaque|
1920 Jan 01
Around 1920’s, European started constructing weekend bungalows on Cheung Chau Peak area facing Hong Kong Island, but not on the other side of Cheung Chau due to malaria, according to then Assistant, Eric Hamilton, in his report.
Another Assistantof 1950’s, Paul Tsui, commented that he did not understand why the biggest landlords on the island, , did not claim the area on the peak in Cheung Chau.
Before Second World War, nobody, except European, is allowed to own property or live on the Peak area of Cheung Chau.
This policy, however, was dropped not long after Second World War, along with cancellation of European Reserve on the peak on Hong Kong Island and in Tai Po.
Cheung Chau Peak
2012 Feb 01
In a Legislative Council meeting on Feb 1st, 2012, Dr. Raymond Ho, a legislative councillor, questioned the authorities if they were aware of the
foul odour in Cheung Chau and Lei Yue Mun typhoon shelters where many restaurants are famous for offering seafood by sea shore, and are famous attractions for tourist.
Secretary of Environment, in a written reply, stated that for the last 3 years, none of Environmental Protection Department (EPD), Drainage Services Department (DSD), and Food and Environmental Hygiene Department (FEHD), have received a single complaint on this issue.
EPD has been keeping close eyes on Cheung Chau and Lei Yue Mun seafront restaurants on potential polluted discharge into storm water drains.
Frequent check on grease trap and septic tank are carried out by EPD and FEHD.
DSD has also been paying close attention to contaminated sediment at public storm water drains, and desilting was carried out to prevent their discharge into water front.
He went on to say monitoring results showed that water quality of Cheung Chau Typhoon Shelter was good over the past 3 years (2009-2011).
1931 Jan 01
In assessment report of Antiques and Monuments Office, it is statedwas built in 1931, owned by Mr Yiu.
Silent movies were shown in the 1930′s, someone was sitting on the side to explain the movie content during the show.
ceased operation in 1990′s , the premises has been abandoned until now.
In its 60 years of history, except for the period during Second World War, it provided memorable entertainment to Cheung Chau residents.
Its architecture was described as down to earth, and also forming an integral part of the neighbourhood and community.
Cheung Chau Theatre
1910 Jan 01
Walter Schofield, Assistant District Officer for New Territories South (1910′s), wrote the ferry servingwas single-decked, run by Cheung Chau Kai Fong Wui.
Single voyage costed HK$3 cents, for HK$5 cents, Kai Fong Wui would provide a bamboo chair for you at the front of the deck.
Ordinance was passed in 1917, requiring operator to replace those old launches ferrying between Yaumatei, Kowloon City and Cheung Chau, with 2nd hand Star Ferry boats, to avoid those old launches going turtle during journey, and therefore loss of lives.
In 1928, new operator issued new ferry time schedule causing inconvenience to islander. The crux of the issue was the time table primarily designed to suite the schedule of passenger from Hong Kong Island, not to the fisherman from Cheung Chau.
Cheung Chau pier was constructed with wood before 1920′s.
On 13th of August in 1920, Hong Kong Colonial Government Director of Public Work, A H Hollingsworth gazetted to invite interest party to tender for erection of concrete pier at Cheung Chau.
From then on, wooden pier disappeared from Cheung Chau.
Cheung Chau Old Ferry
Cheung Chau Old
The number of posts displayed per page : 5