1872 Jan 01
Cheung Chau, 1872
According to assessment report in 2009 from Antiquities and Monuments Office of Hong Kong Government :
“Cheung Chauwas set up by Mr. Choi Leung , a merchant on the island.
His aim is to provide shelter to the homeless and sick and those perished in sea during typhoon. It was then expanded in 1915 by Cheung Chau Kai Fong.”
Based on the record from Land Registry of Hong Kong Lands Department, Cheung Chau Kai Fong, represented by Chu Fook, and Lo Chiu, and witnessed byManager, Wong Tsuen Ting ,on 5th of December in 1914, executed a deed of exchange of Cheung Chau Lot 340 with a parcel of land of 4,500 s.f.. from . It is Cheung Chau Lot 732 where Fong Bin Hospital now located.
This act caused then Assistantfor New Territories South, Eric Hamilton, to comment on news of death of Chu Fook in report in 1921, of his great amount of work for Cheung Chau community.
It also led to him remark in his report in 1922 on death of Wong Tsuen Ting, Manager of, of his and his predecessor’s appreciation for Wong’s continuous support and his capability in Cheung Chau community work.
Antiquities and Monuments Office also mentioned “Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital was mainly providing Chinese Medicine, and was under major renovation in 1931 and 1951 to cope with demand.
It was changed hand toin 1945, reputable Chinese medication practice was hired, visitors came as far as other outlying islands.”
But ever since 1934 when St John’s Ambulance opened Haw Par Hospital providing western medicine, Fong Bin Hospital was slowly fading away till complete abandon in 1988.
Right now the premises are in ruin, ownership is managed on temporary basis by Assistantfor New Territories South.
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital||Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital – Tai Sun Street|
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital Donation plaque|
1941 Jan 01
is a relic from Second World War set up by Japanese army in the name of Greater East Asia Prosperity Circle.
Thenin 1950′s stopped recognising this organisation due to big chaos in election of its official, according to Austin Coates, Assistant of New Territories South at the time.
Rivalry withincaused the administration unable to transfer fund raised by leasing from property for its operation, to proposed , recorded by James Hayes, Assistant of New Territories South in 1960.
Worse still, James Hayes remarked,remained in control of management for Fong Pin Hospital, and transferred the dragon boat shed next to Pak Tei Temple to Dragon Boat Association.
The number of posts displayed per page : 5