1810 Jan 01
, , 1806-1810
According to Pun Yu County record in late, Cheung Po , was the pirate in Southern China coast.
Cheung Po went out fishing with his father when he was around 15 years old, and was captured by Red Flag pirate leader of South China, Cheng Yat, who was descendant of Cheng Shing Kung, the famous sea explorer of Ming dynasty.
Cheng Yat later died in typhoon. His wife promoted Cheung Po as assistant to control the Red Flag pirates.
For his young age, other pirates started calling him Po Tsai. (literally in English, kid Po)
active leadership of Red Flag pirates only lasted between 1806 and 1810.
As a result of fear of revenge by another leader, Kwok Por Dai, of Black Flag pirates, and on the advice by wife of Cheng Yat, he surrendered to Ching Government.
He was given a position of military officer in Ching army, got officially married with wife of Cheng Yat. She later started casino business in Macau.
Cheung Po Tsai used Tung Chung of Lantau Island as repair and maintenance base, and once broke through the blockage set up in Chek Lap Kwok by joint force of Ching and Portuguese navies.
Based on report of 2 East India Company sailors kidnapped by Cheung Po Tsai, he had over 500 boats and around 25,000 pirates under his command at his peak.
Cheung Po Tsai Cave on Cheung Chau
1872 Jan 01
Cheung Chau, 1872
According to assessment report in 2009 from Antiquities and Monuments Office of Hong Kong Government :
“Cheung Chauwas set up by Mr. Choi Leung , a merchant on the island.
His aim is to provide shelter to the homeless and sick and those perished in sea during typhoon. It was then expanded in 1915 by Cheung Chau Kai Fong.”
Based on the record from Land Registry of Hong Kong Lands Department, Cheung Chau Kai Fong, represented by Chu Fook, and Lo Chiu, and witnessed byManager, Wong Tsuen Ting ,on 5th of December in 1914, executed a deed of exchange of Cheung Chau Lot 340 with a parcel of land of 4,500 s.f.. from . It is Cheung Chau Lot 732 where Fong Bin Hospital now located.
This act caused then Assistantfor New Territories South, Eric Hamilton, to comment on news of death of Chu Fook in report in 1921, of his great amount of work for Cheung Chau community.
It also led to him remark in his report in 1922 on death of Wong Tsuen Ting, Manager of, of his and his predecessor’s appreciation for Wong’s continuous support and his capability in Cheung Chau community work.
Antiquities and Monuments Office also mentioned “Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital was mainly providing Chinese Medicine, and was under major renovation in 1931 and 1951 to cope with demand.
It was changed hand toin 1945, reputable Chinese medication practice was hired, visitors came as far as other outlying islands.”
But ever since 1934 when St John’s Ambulance opened Haw Par Hospital providing western medicine, Fong Bin Hospital was slowly fading away till complete abandon in 1988.
Right now the premises are in ruin, ownership is managed on temporary basis by Assistantfor New Territories South.
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital||Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital – Tai Sun Street|
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital Donation plaque|
1898 Jan 01
After Britian took over New Territories and outlying Islands in 1898,, Colonial Secretary, wrote in 1900 report to government there was too much chaos in Land ownerships in New Territories.
He reported that there were cases involving ill-informed tenants wrongly refusing to pay rent to their Landlords because the lands are in New Territories, and others are to pay rents to the Government.
“Lawless characters also took forcible possession of land and tried to deceive the authority by misrepresentations. Tenants have also endeavoured to usurp the rights of landlords.”
On 20th Oct 1898 ,issued a special notice in Chinese to emphasize all landlords and tenants ought to submit land right information to authority.
“Ill-behaved persons will most certainly be severely punished according to law and no leniency will be shown to them. Tremble and obey”
1898 Oct 01
Cheung Chau in 1898
When, Special Commissioner to Hong Kong , wrote a report to Colonial Office in Oct 1898 after taking over New Territories which includes outlying islands, this is how he described Cheung Chau in his report :
“The Island of Cheung Chau is a busy place, at which many of the steamers, launches, and junks plying between Hong Kong and Macao call.
There is a station of the Chinese Imperial Maritime Customs on the Island, as there is also on the Island of Ma Wan, commonly known as the Kap Shui Mun Station.
The deep anchorage of Cheung Chau affords good shelter, especially during easterly gale.
He also remarked the population of Cheung Chau at 5,000 in 1898, based on the estimate from the officer of the Chinese Imperial Maritime Customs stationed at Cheung Chau.”
But a British, L C Arlington, the expatriate employed byas Imperial Maritime Customs Officer stationed at Cheung Chau between 1894-98, recalled a different aspect of life in his book. “The exceptionally strong smell from raw fish and shrimp paste under the sun was almost everywhere on the island. It made him very difficult to set foot on Cheung Chau again after 6 long years of service on the island.”
Chinese Imperial Maritime Customs at Cheung Chau
The number of posts displayed per page : 5