2013 May 24
Cheung Chau Ferry Service
In a paper dated 24th May 2013, submitted to Transport Panel of Legislative Council by Transports and Housing Bureau, it is stated the current ferry operator for the route between Cheung Chau and Central – New World Ferry, can barely make 5% profit in the 3 year license period with Hong Kong Government subsidy.
Without it, ferry operator will surely lose 10% on their investment.
Current 3-year license will expire in mid 2014, it is expected HK$115m subsidy in total will be used by next year.
New Ferry and other operator of the other outlying island routes, Hong Kong Kowloon Ferry, have said up coming subsidy for next 3-year license will reach HK$191m. if no fare increase is allowed.
Cheung Chau Ferry
1872 Jan 01
Cheung Chau, 1872
According to assessment report in 2009 from Antiquities and Monuments Office of Hong Kong Government :
“Cheung Chauwas set up by Mr. Choi Leung , a merchant on the island.
His aim is to provide shelter to the homeless and sick and those perished in sea during typhoon. It was then expanded in 1915 by Cheung Chau Kai Fong.”
Based on the record from Land Registry of Hong Kong Lands Department, Cheung Chau Kai Fong, represented by Chu Fook, and Lo Chiu, and witnessed byManager, Wong Tsuen Ting ,on 5th of December in 1914, executed a deed of exchange of Cheung Chau Lot 340 with a parcel of land of 4,500 s.f.. from . It is Cheung Chau Lot 732 where now located.
This act caused then Assistantfor New Territories South, Eric Hamilton, to comment on news of death of Chu Fook in report in 1921, of his great amount of work for Cheung Chau community.
It also led to him remark in his report in 1922 on death of Wong Tsuen Ting, Manager of, of his and his predecessor’s appreciation for Wong’s continuous support and his capability in Cheung Chau community work.
Antiquities and Monuments Office also mentioned “Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital was mainly providing Chinese Medicine, and was under major renovation in 1931 and 1951 to cope with demand.
It was changed hand toin 1945, reputable Chinese medication practice was hired, visitors came as far as other outlying islands.”
But ever since 1934 when St John’s Ambulance opened Haw Par Hospital providing western medicine, Fong Bin Hospital was slowly fading away till complete abandon in 1988.
Right now the premises are in ruin, ownership is managed on temporary basis by Assistantfor New Territories South.
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital||Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital – Tai Sun Street|
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital Donation plaque|
1898 Oct 01
Cheung Chau in 1898
When, Special Commissioner to Hong Kong , wrote a report to Colonial Office in Oct 1898 after taking over New Territories which includes outlying islands, this is how he described Cheung Chau in his report :
“The Island of Cheung Chau is a busy place, at which many of the steamers, launches, and junks plying between Hong Kong and Macao call.
There is a station of the Chinese Imperial Maritime Customs on the Island, as there is also on the Island of Ma Wan, commonly known as the Kap Shui Mun Station.
The deep anchorage of Cheung Chau affords good shelter, especially during easterly gale.
He also remarked the population of Cheung Chau at 5,000 in 1898, based on the estimate from the officer of the Chinese Imperial Maritime Customs stationed at Cheung Chau.”
But a British, L C Arlington, the expatriate employed byas Imperial Maritime Customs Officer stationed at Cheung Chau between 1894-98, recalled a different aspect of life in his book. “The exceptionally strong smell from raw fish and shrimp paste under the sun was almost everywhere on the island. It made him very difficult to set foot on Cheung Chau again after 6 long years of service on the island.”
Chinese Imperial Maritime Customs at Cheung Chau
2004 Feb 04
In a Legislative Council Finance Committee, Public Works Subcommittee paper dated 4th Feb 2004, Director of Territory Development (DTD), with the support of Secretary of Housing, Planning and Lands, seek for funding for work to upgrade the roads in Cheung Chau old town, which are not accessible for modern emergency vehicles.
Acting on advice from Fire Service Department, the proposal for construction of 4.5m wide road connecting On Wing Centre and Wo Shun Lane is initiated. It also recommends to widen Kwok Man Road to 4.5m and reconstruct Peak Road.
On March 28th, 2002, public consultation triggered 38 objections including one objection representing over 200 objectors.
The objections were mainly related to land resumption, especially along Peak Road, and tree felling.
Vehicle passing bays at suitable locations along Peak Road was proposed as part of road widening initiative following discussion with objectors.
Two objectors refuse to withdraw their objections in fear of clearance of balcony structure and small hut at Kwok Man Road.
Government took enforcement action accordingly.
Last edited by Cheung Chau Magazine on 27/09/2013 at 15:22
1920 Jan 01
Around 1920’s, European started constructing weekend bungalows on Cheung Chau Peak area facing Hong Kong Island, but not on the other side of Cheung Chau due to malaria, according to then Assistant, Eric Hamilton, in his report.
Another Assistantof 1950’s, Paul Tsui, commented that he did not understand why the biggest landlords on the island, , did not claim the area on the peak in Cheung Chau.
Before Second World War, nobody, except European, is allowed to own property or live on the Peak area of Cheung Chau.
This policy, however, was dropped not long after Second World War, along with cancellation of European Reserve on the peak on Hong Kong Island and in Tai Po.
Cheung Chau Peak
The number of posts displayed per page : 5