1872 Jan 01
Cheung Chau, 1872
According to assessment report in 2009 from Antiquities and Monuments Office of Hong Kong Government :
“Cheung Chauwas set up by Mr. Choi Leung , a merchant on the island.
His aim is to provide shelter to the homeless and sick and those perished in sea during typhoon. It was then expanded in 1915 by Cheung Chau Kai Fong.”
Based on the record from Land Registry of Hong Kong Lands Department, Cheung Chau Kai Fong, represented by Chu Fook, and Lo Chiu, and witnessed byManager, Wong Tsuen Ting ,on 5th of December in 1914, executed a deed of exchange of Cheung Chau Lot 340 with a parcel of land of 4,500 s.f.. from . It is Cheung Chau Lot 732 where now located.
This act caused then Assistantfor New Territories South, Eric Hamilton, to comment on news of death of Chu Fook in report in 1921, of his great amount of work for Cheung Chau community.
It also led to him remark in his report in 1922 on death of Wong Tsuen Ting, Manager of, of his and his predecessor’s appreciation for Wong’s continuous support and his capability in Cheung Chau community work.
Antiquities and Monuments Office also mentioned “Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital was mainly providing Chinese Medicine, and was under major renovation in 1931 and 1951 to cope with demand.
It was changed hand toin 1945, reputable Chinese medication practice was hired, visitors came as far as other outlying islands.”
But ever since 1934 when St John’s Ambulance opened Haw Par Hospital providing western medicine, Fong Bin Hospital was slowly fading away till complete abandon in 1988.
Right now the premises are in ruin, ownership is managed on temporary basis by Assistantfor New Territories South.
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital||Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital – Tai Sun Street|
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital Donation plaque|
1905 Jan 01
, Cheung Chau
was land owner of 90% of private land on Cheung Chau.
According to Wong Wai Tsak Tong’s clan book, the Tong originated from Po Tin area of Fujian (Fookin) province around Southern Sung Dynasty, (A.D.1127-1279), then moved to Guandong (Canton) from Fujian and settled down in the province.
Further to Land Claim in 1899, the Hong Kong Colonial Government registered Wong Wai Tsak Tong in 1905, in the form of as owner of 90% of private land on Cheung Chau.
Wong Wai Tsak Tong then issued 5-year lease for land to individual owners, and also collected payment of Crown Rent and paid to Hong Kong Colonial Government.
This practice went on till 1995 when a legislation,(Cheung Chau) Ordinance, passed to terminate Wong Wai Tsak Tong as the Taxlord for Hong Kong Colonial Government on Cheung Chau.
In the press release from Hong Kong SAR Government dated 25th of May in 2011, in response to query from Mr. Tsim Pui-Chung , Legislative Councillor of Legislative Council, Mrs Lam Cheng Yuet-Ngor, Chief Secretary of Hong Kong SAR Government, clearly stated that “a sum of HK$20.0 millions have been made to Wong Wai Tsak Tong in 2004 as compensation, which is not calculated on basis on size of land. There were no legal process involved in recovering Cheung Chau land from Wong Wai Tsak Tong.”
She also said “(Cheung Chau) Ordinance, passed in July in 1995 has terminated Wong Wai Tsak Tong status on Cheung Chau legally, and all sub-lessee from Wong Wai Tsak Tong will become lessee of Hong Kong SAR Government.”
Wong Wai Tsak Tong, however, remains as the biggest land owner and landlords on Cheung Chau, according to Land Registry of Hong Kong SAR Government.
Cheung Chau Map, 1874
Wong Wai Tsak Tong Clan’s Book
1905 Mar 18
Cheung Chau, 1905
is basically a Land Lease covering many land lots.
In the past, many big families in New Territories have built up a large land bank in certain village or district over a long period of time. Hong Kongissued a single land lease covering many land lots belonging to same family for easy management accordingly.
is a typical example, after land claim for Cheung Chau in 1899, Hong Kong issued a on 18th of March in 1905 to register for 90% of private land on Cheung Chau.
In 1995, a legislation named Block Crown Lease (Cheung Chau) Ordinance, passed to terminate Wong Wai Tsak Tong’s Taxlord status for Cheung Chau, all sub-lessees of Wong Wai Tsak Tong, lease renewed or not, who were registered in Land Registry before commencement of this legislation, would become Hong Kong Government lessee.
A chapter was closed for Wong Wai Tsak Tong and Hong Kong.
1920 Jan 01
Around 1920’s, European started constructing weekend bungalows on Cheung Chau Peak area facing Hong Kong Island, but not on the other side of Cheung Chau due to malaria, according to then Assistant, Eric Hamilton, in his report.
Another Assistantof 1950’s, Paul Tsui, commented that he did not understand why the biggest landlords on the island, , did not claim the area on the peak in Cheung Chau.
Before Second World War, nobody, except European, is allowed to own property or live on the Peak area of Cheung Chau.
This policy, however, was dropped not long after Second World War, along with cancellation of European Reserve on the peak on Hong Kong Island and in Tai Po.
Cheung Chau Peak
1941 Jan 01
is a relic from Second World War set up by Japanese army in the name of Greater East Asia Prosperity Circle.
Thenin 1950′s stopped recognising this organisation due to big chaos in election of its official, according to Austin Coates, Assistant of New Territories South at the time.
Rivalry withincaused the administration unable to transfer fund raised by leasing from property for its operation, to proposed , recorded by James Hayes, Assistant of New Territories South in 1960.
Worse still, James Hayes remarked,remained in control of management for Fong Pin Hospital, and transferred the dragon boat shed next to Pak Tei Temple to Dragon Boat Association.
The number of posts displayed per page : 5