1872 Jan 01
Cheung Chau, 1872
According to assessment report in 2009 from Antiquities and Monuments Office of Hong Kong Government :
“Cheung Chauwas set up by Mr. Choi Leung , a merchant on the island.
His aim is to provide shelter to the homeless and sick and those perished in sea during typhoon. It was then expanded in 1915 by Cheung Chau Kai Fong.”
Based on the record from Land Registry of Hong Kong Lands Department, Cheung Chau Kai Fong, represented by Chu Fook, and Lo Chiu, and witnessed byManager, Wong Tsuen Ting ,on 5th of December in 1914, executed a deed of exchange of Cheung Chau Lot 340 with a parcel of land of 4,500 s.f.. from . It is Cheung Chau Lot 732 where now located.
This act caused then Assistantfor New Territories South, Eric Hamilton, to comment on news of death of Chu Fook in report in 1921, of his great amount of work for Cheung Chau community.
It also led to him remark in his report in 1922 on death of Wong Tsuen Ting, Manager of, of his and his predecessor’s appreciation for Wong’s continuous support and his capability in Cheung Chau community work.
Antiquities and Monuments Office also mentioned “Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital was mainly providing Chinese Medicine, and was under major renovation in 1931 and 1951 to cope with demand.
It was changed hand toin 1945, reputable Chinese medication practice was hired, visitors came as far as other outlying islands.”
But ever since 1934 when St John’s Ambulance opened Haw Par Hospital providing western medicine, Fong Bin Hospital was slowly fading away till complete abandon in 1988.
Right now the premises are in ruin, ownership is managed on temporary basis by Assistantfor New Territories South.
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital||Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital – Tai Sun Street|
|Cheung Chau Fong Bin Hospital Donation plaque|
1912 Aug 21
Hong KongNew Territories South Assistant , S H Peplow, recorded at mid night of August 21st 1912 , a group of 50 pirates in small boats landed in Cheung Chau near Station.
They went in to kill 3 Indianon duty, ransacked the station and took away HK$3,000 cash from the safe, together with all guns and ammunition.
The pirates went on to rob all shops and residences in neighbourhood.
One or two pirates died and some are also injured.
The piracy shocked Hong Kong and caused Cheung ChauStation to move in 1913-1914 to high ground from the shore, at current location in Police Station Path.
Cheung Chau Police Station
1920 Jan 01
Around 1920’s, European started constructing weekend bungalows on Cheung Chau Peak area facing Hong Kong Island, but not on the other side of Cheung Chau due to malaria, according to then Assistant, Eric Hamilton, in his report.
Another Assistantof 1950’s, Paul Tsui, commented that he did not understand why the biggest landlords on the island, , did not claim the area on the peak in Cheung Chau.
Before Second World War, nobody, except European, is allowed to own property or live on the Peak area of Cheung Chau.
This policy, however, was dropped not long after Second World War, along with cancellation of European Reserve on the peak on Hong Kong Island and in Tai Po.
Cheung Chau Peak
1941 Jan 01
is a relic from Second World War set up by Japanese army in the name of Greater East Asia Prosperity Circle.
Thenin 1950′s stopped recognising this organisation due to big chaos in election of its official, according to Austin Coates, Assistant of New Territories South at the time.
Rivalry withincaused the administration unable to transfer fund raised by leasing from property for its operation, to proposed , recorded by James Hayes, Assistant of New Territories South in 1960.
Worse still, James Hayes remarked, Cheung Chau Residents Association remained in control of management for Fong Pin Hospital, and transferred the dragon boat shed next to Pak Tei Temple to Dragon Boat Association.
1960 Jan 01
Austin Coates , Assistantof New Territories South of of Hong Kong recorded in 1950’s that then Government recognised as the only official organisation to represent Cheung Chau interest.
is the relic from Second World War set up by Japanese Army in the name of Greater East Asia Prosperity Circle.
For the sake of smooth administration of Cheung Chau after the war, British military allowed it unchanged and keep its organisation as well as its name.
Up until early 1950’s, Government stopped recognising this organisation and cut off communication with it after a big chaos in election of its official.
Thenwas planning to set up a new official body called , and to transfer the fund raised by leasing from ’s properties for its operation to be managed by .
The Government, however, took quite a few years till 1960 to complete the setting up of Cheung Chau Rural Committee.
In between, Cheung Chau Chamber of Commerce took over the job of liaison with Government.
The number of posts displayed per page : 5